martedì 13 novembre 2007

Social Bookmarking (E-tivity 5)


The first week I created my blog and it was like a moon landing. A little step for humanity, a great feat for me. Then we experienced the blogosphere, a tangled world based on sharing things. Bloglines seemed to put my head in order. Finally came del.icio.us. Unfortunately I had no idea of what it was and how I could benefit from this tool. I had never heard of it before.


1. First of all del.icio.us can change your old way of storing your favourite web sites and blogs by using another web site and not your browser.

2. It helps you not only to store but also to share your favourite web sites and blogs.

3. When I’m not using my computer I found very tedious to write the url of a web site on a piece of paper. If you save an url on del.icio.us you have access to it by using any computer.


This system is called social bookmarking and it has many pros. Your bookmark can benefit other people because it’s public. Your peers can see what you choose and vice versa. In a few weeks you can produce a network of useful web sites. Del.icio.us can help you with your searches. Using other tools like google you find a huge number of results which is very difficult to manage. Del.icio.us can also make your life easier because when you store something you have to write a description of the web site and this help people to know if it can be useful for their searches.

Thanks to the network I have an easy access to my peers’ choices. They chose web sites that concerns language learning and tools that might improve our skills. I found online dictionary, English grammars and listening exercises. What struck me most was a web site chosen by Laura. It concerns famous quotations from important authors. I put this site into my favourite ones because when I found a quotation in English newspapers or books I want to know the person who has been quoted and what the quotation means. This makes my comprehension clearer.

Nessun commento: