venerdì 30 novembre 2007

Judging Online Sources (E-tivity 8)


Using the Net I feel a little bit uncomfortable because when I search information I’m overwhelmed by it. This almost limitless amount of information can have both pros and cons. In the Net you can find everything you want but can you trust all information you come across?


Sometimes I choose one web site instead of another without knowing precisely what are the criteria of my decision. Usually this happens when I surf the Net to find relaxing or funny things. When I deal with a more ‘serious’ matter I pay more attention to my choices. These are the criteria I apply when I make judgements about web sites:

1. Find the author of the web site.
2. Why is this information provided here?
3. Find when the site was last updated.
4. Judge the style of the web site. Is the information exhaustive?
5. If you use del.icio.us read other people’s descriptions of the site.

Reading the suggestions that other Universities made for students I found new useful criteria. It’s a good thing to start your research with a precise idea of what kind of information are you looking for and which sources are likely to be most useful to you. It’s important to understand if the site follows a particular view point and excludes others. If the information has been copied from other sources make sure that there’s a bibliography somewhere in the site.

For more information have a look at these sites:
How to evaluate sources on the web
Evaluating web sites

5 commenti:

Claudia Trivellato ha detto...

Hi Serena!
Soimetimes I feel overwhelmed, too, because of the great quantity of information you can find in the Internet.
I think that it is important to know the author and to check the authenticity of information in order to use not copied data.

Claudia ha detto...

Hi Serena,
I think you pointed out some very good rules to find the way among the great amount of information that internet provides!
Still, I think sometimes we should consider the idea of going into a library for some research! There is still interesting material on the books!

See you in class!
Claudia

Laura Zock ha detto...

Hello Serena!
Your posts are always well done and very interesting!
The rules and the web sites you suggested are really useful! It's true: being able to filter information on the Net is very difficult, that's why we must always be critical and careful!
C u later!
Laura

Alberto ha detto...

Hi Serena!
You really have some useful rules to explore the limitless world of the Internet! I particularly enjoyed what you say about "del.icio.us"...
I agree with you when you write that it's important to understand if a website follows a specific view point; in this way we can form a fair and free opinion...

You can say you prefer using "traditional sources" (or at least that's what I understood reading your comment to Claudia Trivellato's post), but you do know how to move in the Web jungle! :)

alessandrasq ha detto...

Hi Serena,
As our peers wrote, you have pointed out very useful suggestions to not being kept in the "Net" of Internet itself. But I think as well that sometimes it's better to go inside a library and spend some hours there, walking around the bookshelves and taking information directly from books. It could be a perfect way to restore our mind from the mess of Internet.