sabato 29 marzo 2008

Developing intercultural competence ICC


First of all I asked myself what’s the meaning of ‘intercultural competence’. Does it refer only to the correct use of a language? I mean a grammatical correct use? Of course not. I think it’s not only a matter of a second language proficiency. A cross cultural preparation also includes a range of other abilities connected with the awareness and knowledge of the other culture.

When you start studying a second language you also start to discover another culture, different from yours. It’s not an immediate goal that you achieve in a very short time. Intercultural competence is a developmental process which in my opinion takes ages and it’s different from one person to another because it depends on everyone’s experiences. Certainly someone who plunged in a certain cultural context developed the capacity to deal more appropriately with the other culture and with the field she/he chose.

When I have to assess myself I find always difficulties. Especially this time is difficult because I have to judge the process of my intercultural competence that is always in progress. For example during this course I feel that my competences changed a lot thanks to our conversations in class about culture and foreign traditions and thanks also to the Skype exchange.

Assessing myself with the YOGA form was not an easy task, but it can be useful to set myself new goals. Unfortunately I had to skip some parts because they don’t apply to my experience. What surprised me most was that within the five dimensions of the ICC (intercultural competence) there is what is called Attitude (the other four dimensions are Awareness, Knowledge, Language Proficiency and Skills). I tend to skip this aspect because it seems obvious to me. However, after the YOGA form I realised that it’s a really fundamental characteristic that is required by someone who study languages. If someone has not ‘Attitude’ towards another culture or language, can he/she achieve this dimension? I don’t know. Probably the answer is no.

Nessun commento: